Global Engagement: Preserving traditional handicraft villages
Vietnam has long been known for its various traditional handicraft products, many of which are handmade at thousand-year-old villages across the country, however, those villages have also been threatened to vanish due to urbanization and globalization. Thanks to the efforts of the national and local governments to preserve cultural heritage associated with traditional villages, maintain the local workforce and increase their income to reduce the burden on big cities, some villages have been able to survive and are now more developed in terms of product quality and economic growth. Yet there are challenges of sustainable development for them to resolve such as education, environment, and international trade.
As participants of this global engagement program, students are expected to:
- gain knowledge about the various traditional handicraft products of Vietnam
- identify issues (if any) at the villages to visit and come up with feasible solutions
- possibly initiate or catalyze the opening of business models to connect their home country and Vietnam’s trade markets contributing to the villages’ economic growth
- understand more about different aspects of Vietnamese culture, economy, and history
Tentative location: Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam
Duration: 09 days
Tentative Program Itinerary:
Day 1: Arrival in Hanoi, hotel check-in, welcome dinner
Day 2: Orientation & Hanoi City Tour
Day 3: Guest lecture on Overview of Vietnam’s traditional handicraft villages and Industry visit
Day 4: Day trip to Ha Long Bay – UNESCO World Heritage Site and 1 of the 7 New Natural Wonders of the world
Day 5: Visits to 2 traditional handicraft villages
Day 6: Visits to 2 traditional handicraft villages
Day 7: Industry visit and Group discussion (findings sharing, individual ideas pitching)
Day 8: Cultural Exchange with local students, closing ceremony and farewell dinner
Day 9: Departure from Hanoi, end of program
Activities listed are subject to change in case of unexpected circumstances and company/organization’s unavailability.
We customize the itinerary to best meet your needs and objectives; thus there will be no programs at the same price.
What's usually included in our price?
- Airport transfer
- Accommodation: 3-star hotel, twin room, same-gender/room, single room for university faculty, free Wi-Fi and room service
- Meals: Breakfast at hotel; welcome and farewell dinners; other meals as listed in the itinerary
- Program development
- Program coordinator accompanies the group in every activity for the whole program;
- Local buddies arrangement (if requested)
- On-site orientation;
- Company visits arrangement;
- Guide and entrance fees for all excursions as listed in the itinerary
- Transportation as described in the program itinerary
- 24/7 emergency contact number (SOS card);
- All gratuities to bus drivers, tour guides and/ or similar;
- Fee for at least 1 faculty or employee from the university to join in program activities with students in Vietnam.
Step 1: If you are interested in working with us for a Customized FLP, please take some minutes to fill out this online questionnaire. Our representative then will contact you for a free consultation to discuss your program in more detail.
Step 2: We finalize and send you the program proposal to ask for your institution’s approval
Step 3: Implementation
At your end:
- Market your program on campus & process students’ applications
- Finalize academic content for your program
- Collect students’ program fees
- Work closely with ABROADER's representative to finalize all activities and logistics (airfare, housing, airport pickup, classroom, excursions, etc.) needed for your program
- Hold pre-departure meeting and orientation
At our end
- Finalize the whole program schedule
- Produce or support with the production of marketing materials for your program
- Arrange all necessary logistics and cultural excursions to support your program
- Support with the pre-departure meeting and orientation
Step 4: You and your students arrive in Vietnam – your program starts.
Step 5: While in Vietnam, you teach the course, and we implement the logistics and cultural excursions for your program.
Step 6: Your program ends – the group departs from Vietnam. After you return home, there will be an evaluation meeting for us to review your program for future improvements and planning
Environment Internship ,University of Notre Dame, USA
Electrical Engineering Internship ,University of Exeter, England
Scrum Master Internship ,Republic Polytechnic, Singapore
Education Internship ,Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University, Japan
The service provided by ABROADER Vietnam is really good. Especially until I get used to living here, I asked support from ABROADER so much. Now I can manage my own life by myself thanks to them.
IT Internship ,Chuo University, Japan
Healthcare & Pharmacy Internship ,Republic Polytechnic, Singapore
Nursing Internship ,University of Texas in Austin, USA
Nursing Internship ,FH Campus Wien, Austria
Biology & Environment Internship ,Republic Polytechnic, Singapore
Let's Vietna 2016 Faculty-led Program ,University of Findlay, USA